I think we’re all guilty of falling into the deep pit of comparison. Comparing our families, Instagram filtered lives, incomes, church attendance, jobs, talents, Pinterest-filled homes, and more. We glance to the left and to the right, internally measuring ourselves up to those around us.
Am I good enough? Smart enough? Successful enough?
Comparison leaves us frustrated, empty, downright stuck, and leads us to deeper levels of discontentment.
It’s said: “Comparison is the thief of joy.”
Scripture reminds us of the dangers of comparison:
“Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.” –Galatians 6:4, MSG
“But in all this comparing and grading and competing, they quite miss the point.” –2 Corinthians 10:12, MSG
Instead of comparing ourselves with others, God calls us to fix our eyes on one person only—Jesus. God wants us to keep our eyes on him and find our delight in him alone.
“Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering… Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out.” –Romans 12:1-2, MSG
Each week, we're diving into The Sacred Echo book and Bible Study during the online Summer Bible Study.
- Watch. Session .004: You Follow Me on the DVD.
- Write. Respond to the second session of homework in the workbook.
- Read. Chapters .007 & .008 in the book.
- Interact. Share what ideas or phrases catch your attention. What God is challenging or showing you through the material. How we can pray for you. And of course, you're welcome to send in quirky questions, too, since I'll be interacting with them throughout our time together. Leave your thoughts at MargaretFeinberg.com or on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram using #SacredEcho.
- Gather. Set a time to meet with your small group face-to-face, schedule a Skype date with your long-distance friends, and join the online community on Wednesday, June 25th at MargaretFeinberg.com.
*This week’s memory verse: Psalm 84:2
Okay—let’s get started! Click here to leave your answer to the question below as a comment.