I don’t know about you, but I don’t always do the best with New Year’s Resolutions. I go strong… for about two weeks. By the time February rolls around, the goals I made in January are far gone from my mind.
Instead of making a resolution you won’t keep, resolve to make 2018 the year to flourish.
Resolve that every day will challenge us to live more fully, create more actively, and be more engaged in the present moment. No matter what adversity you are facing, let’s make 2018 a year to not just survive, but to flourish in the midst.
Here are 5 resolutions worth making (and keeping) in 2018:
1. Reconcile Relationships. Choose to extend forgiveness and let it go. Make steps toward reconciling broken relationships with friends and family, even if it means having The Difficult Conversation. Go out of your way to remind them that they are loved and cared for. Make a meal, mow their lawn, call “just because.” Reach out and discover how to make relationships Flourish.
2. Read More (Especially Your Bible). Pick up the 52-week devotional of Flourish you’ve been wanting to read. Dust off the stack of books on your bedside table. More than your favorite memoir or mystery novel, choose to set aside time to read your Bible. Even if it’s just a couple of verses each day on your cell phone or you choose to read along with us during Lent (book to be announced soon!), become more acquainted with God’s Word this year.
3. Make a Dream List. Go ahead and start right now. Number a page 1 to 10. Open your mind and your heart and allow yourself to dream. Make ten recipes from the Joy of Cooking. Shake hands with N.T. Wright. Visit all Seven Wonders of the World. Watch the Star Wars movies chronologically all in one sitting (including Rogue One). Eat maple syrup in Vermont. Throughout 2018, continue adding to your dream list and work toward checking things off.
4. Plug into a Small Group or Bible Study. Get connected in your local church by joining a small group or starting your own. Wrestle over Scripture with the company of friends. Walk through the ups and downs of life together. Experience the joy that is found in doing life with others.
5. Discover Your One Word. The beginning of a new year provides an opportunity for reflection and vision cast. This season is to both look back and press forward in our relationship with God. What is the word Christ wants to use to transform you and make you radiant like Christ? Use this easy-to-use free guide to discern your One Word for 2018.
In 2018, may joy bubble over and wonder abound. May this year be one where you walk with your forehead glued to Jesus’ shoulder blades. Where every inhale will be of God’s presence and every exhale an extension of his love. May this be your year to flourish.
What’s your New Year’s Resolution this year?
Recommended Resources to start 2018:
- Flourish: 52-Week Devotional will walk with you as you learn how to live loved, live fearless, and live free.
- The Flourish Devotional Box: Premium
- The Flourish Devotional Box: Basic
- Want to pick up a new hobby? Grab this hand lettering guide.