Scripture is God’s story. He is the central character and the author of it all. Yet, as a loving God, we’re invited into the divine story God has been writing since the beginning of time. [Tweet this]
Will you go back to the beginning of God’s story with me?
Beginning today, we will spend the next six weeks diving into Genesis, using the accompanying DVD Bible study: Pursuing God’s Love: Stories from the Book of Genesis.
To whet our appetite for what God has in store for us, here are four things to know before you read Genesis 1-3:
- Feeling discouraged or defeated? Genesis may be just the book to encourage you. Many scholars believe that Genesis was written for a people living in exile and meant to refute the false theological claims of the Babylonians. In the first chapter of Genesis, we’re reminded that God is the Lord of all. [Tweet this]
- Genesis probably wasn’t the oldest written book in the Bible. Many scholars believe the book of Job predates Genesis.
- On the first day of creation, evening came before morning. Some believe this detail is reflective of the Jewish day, which begins at sundown rather than sunrise.
- Men and women have the same number of ribs anatomically. But since Adam and Eve were the first people, it’s always fair to wonder, did they have bellybuttons? [Tweet this]
- The Hebrew word for “knowing” is yodea, which can also be translated as a respectful reference to a divine being. The temptation of the serpent in Genesis 3:5 can be interpreted as a promise to become “divine beings, knowers of good and evil.”
Here’s your homework for Week One: God Rising:
- Watch Session One (God Rising) on the Pursuing God’s Love DVD (18 minutes) and begin working through the homework. (Special sneak peek below!)
- Read Genesis 1-3.
- Come back to MargaretFeinberg.com on Thursday, the same day you can enjoy the Midday Connection podcast on the session, to discuss what God’s revealing to you along the way. (To subscribe to the RSS feed so you don’t miss a beat, click here).
If you have a blog, consider linking up with MargaretFeinberg.com each Thursday and share what God is teaching you through the book of Genesis!
As an extra special gift to you and a sneak peek to what we can look forward to in the weeks ahead, below, you’ll find Session One: God Rising from the Pursuing God’s Love DVD:
FOR DISCUSSION: Answer the following questions as a comment to this blog post. Feel free to ask questions, reply to others’ comments, and post prayer requests.
- Imagine you had the opportunity to stand alongside God on one of the days of creation. Which day of creation would you most like to experience?
- Adam and the woman fell for the serpent’s lie that God isn’t good or doesn’t really love them. Deep down inside, do you really believe God loves you?
Pursuing God's Love: Stories from the Book of Genesis Online Bible Study LINKS:
Session Three: MONDAY
Session Four: THURSDAY