I don’t know about you, but I don’t always do the best with New Year’s Resolutions. I go strong… for about two weeks. By the time February rolls around, the goals I made in January are far gone from my mind.
Instead of making a resolution you won’t keep in 2014, resolve to lay hold of joy every day.
Resolve that every day will be marked with laughter and happiness and levity and winsomeness and mirth and gladness and gratefulness. No matter what adversity you are facing, will you choose to lay hold of joy each day?
Here are 5 resolutions worth making (and keeping) in 2014: [Tweet this]
- Reconcile Relationships. Choose to extend forgiveness and let it go. Make steps toward reconciling broken relationships with friends and family, even if it means having The Difficult Conversation. Go out of your way to remind them that they are loved and cared for. Make a meal, mow their lawn, call “just because.” Reach out and discover joy in relationships.
- Read More (Especially Your Bible). Pick up the copy of David and Goliath you’ve been wanting to read. Dust off the stack of books on your bedside table. More than your favorite memoir or mystery novel, choose to set aside time to read your Bible. Even if it’s just a couple of verses each day on your cell phone or you choose to read the entire New Testament with us during Lent, become more acquainted with God’s Word this year.
- Make a Dream List. Go ahead and start right now. Number a page 1 to 10. Open your mind and your heart and allow yourself to dream. Make ten recipes from the Joy of Cooking. Shake hands with N.T. Wright. Visit all Seven Wonders of the World. Watch the Star Wars movies chronologically all in one sitting. Eat maple syrup in Vermont. Throughout 2014, continue adding to your dream list and work toward checking things off.
- Plug into a Small Group or Bible Study. Get connected in your local church by joining a small group or starting your own. Wrestle over Scripture with the company of friends. Walk through the ups and downs of life together. Experience the joy that is found in doing life with others.
- Open Your Eyes to the Wonder. God is busting at the seams to display his power, glory, and might in your life. This year, will you choose to #LIVEWONDERSTRUCK, awake and aware to the wonder of God all around? Pick up a copy of Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God or take part in the 21 Days of Wonder.
In 2014, may joy bubble over and wonder abound. May this year be one where you walk with your forehead glued to Jesus’ shoulder blades. Where every inhale will be of God’s presence and every exhale an extension of his love.
What’s your New Year’s Resolution this year?